Paper 3: Persuasive Public Audience Paper
How does a specific food tradition influence how a community lives/thinks/interacts with food? How do you want to see those influences change?
Your final paper’s length is dependent on the project, though it should be the equivalent of 4-6 pages-worth of work. Each of you have just written a well-researched paper to an academic audience. Whether it was an argumentative, expository or analytical, in the process of your research, you must have come to some opinions about your subject matter. In this essay, you need to pick an argument that relates to your research, and present that argument to a public audience of your choosing. You might write an opinion column/feature in the local paper. Or a blog post aimed at an internet crowd. Or you might write to your members of congress. Or a paper that could be presented at the UAF Board of Regents. Or a series of tweets. Whatever you choose, you should be speaking to a targeted public audience, and use the ideal mode and style to reach that audience, while still incorporating strong, academic research.
You can use all of the sources and information from your research paper, but instead of writing to an academic audience, you are writing to a public one. The paper should be significantly different stylistically than the original, even if content is the same.
*If you submit your article for publication you will get 20 end-of-the-semester bonus extra credit points*
An A+ paper will display the following qualities:
- 3-5 properly formatted pages, plus a Works Cited page
- Nearly perfect grammar and spelling
- Analysis that provides astute observations of culture and promotes your individual critical thinking on the topic (analytical is the key — this should not read like a journal entry and use of first person should be minimal) and includes examples of your ideas
- A clear thesis statement that is placed at the end of the first paragraph with organized paragraphs that support that thesis
- Sources that are authoritative (NOT Wikipedia)
- See Rubric for details